Our Adoptables link








Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

(Author unknown)


AMOS (May 16, 2012)

bbAmos was only with our rescue group for a few months, but worked his way into the hearts of all the volunteers who came into contact with him. He was a sweet, gentle soul who loved attention and head pats.

He wasn't terribly energetic, but loved his time out to explore his exercise pen. We weren't sure how old he was, so figured he was an older bun just taking it easy. We didn't know he had a heart condition that would take him so soon.

He and his sister Elke were recued from a farm on Eastern Long Island where he spent his life in a chicken coop eating only alfalfa pellets, no hay, and sharing a noisy barn with hens and roosters. In his short time with us, he learned the joys of quiet, peaceful time, loving hands, and the taste and texture of salads. He will be missed.



PHOEBE (October 25, 2013)

11Phoebe was found abandoned and brought to Animal Care and Control and rescued by LIRRG as her time was about to run out at the shelter. I fell in love with her at LIRRG where I volunteer and brought my male bunny Popeye there to see if it was possible to make a bond for them. It was an immediate attraction as they jumped into one litterbox peacefully and they were living together within two weeks, much much shorter a time than most bondings.

They lived inseparably for about seven years until she left so suddenly. Popeye still looks for her months later and he and our whole family miss her terribly.

RILEY O'HARE (February 16, 2012) BOOBUNNY (June 16, 2012)

Boobunny Chinwhiskers joined Riley just four months to the day after he left us. She fought teeth issues and jaw abscesses for more than five years and finally succumbed to sepsis unexpectedly after just two days of being sick. She was with us for almost nine years and we got her as a baby, so there's a huge hole in our home where her feisty, opinionated and smart self used to live. Her nickname was Explorer Bunny because she had to examine anything new within her reach and do her best to get out of her area so she could find out what she could get into. I know Riley was waiting for her in a field of sweet flowers where they can stretch out in the sunshine together.

Our beautiful sweet gentlman Riley passed today. He survived neglest for more than three years in a lonely hutch, then shared our home and hearts with his devoted mate Boobunny for seven and a half years.

He taught us that you can forgive past hurts and accept love without fear. He knew hunger and loneliness and unattended sickness and showed us every day how much he appreciated the care and warmth and love we gave him. He was a gentle soul who accepted any necessary medical care and syringe fedding with grace and dignity, and he was inseparable from his feisty opinionated mate. We will miss him terribly.

This photo has them in their usual position, side by side: Boobunny left, sweet Riley on the right. — Kathie, Brian and Boobunny


REMY (January 23, 2013)

Anyone who met Remy loved her and we got the honor of sharing our home with her for her last eight months. She came into Long Island Rabbit Rescue as part of a large neglect case in Nassau County. She was well over ten years old, just two-and-a-half pounds, and totally blind.

We gave her a consistent, loving home — she knew where everything in her area stayed, and she let me know where she preferred thing kept. She ran from place to place and turned a neat right-angle turn at full speed in order to navigate her area, especially if she thought a salad or some loving was on its way.

She knew she was adored and spent hours every night in my lap while I watched tv, her loving slave. If I needed to get up, she was handed off to her alternate slave, my husband Brian. If I had on a long sleeve shirt, she would box and bite my sleeve until I pushed it up so she could lay against my bare skin and warm her little self. She would turn around until she would cuddle her back against my arm and sometimes stretch out her legs with total trust. She loved to kiss incessantly and then settle in for a nap. I could "feel her" in my arms long after she passed, she was such a special little angel sent to us for too short a time.

How could a critter who was neglected for so many years learn to trust and love so comletely in such a short time? How will I ever forget her?


CHAUNCY (July 2009)

Baby Mine,

Oh my Chauncy, I cannot believe that it's been five months since you left this world. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about you and all of the joy you have brought to my life.

Nine and a half years ago when I saw you sitting alone in that cage, something sparked within me.  I knew you were meant to be mine, and I had been sent by God to help one of his creatures.  I knew you desperately needed me to give you a chance at life, but I didn't realize how desperately I needed you, too.  I don't need to tell you how hard life had been for me before you came to me, and at the moment you entered my life, I began to learn a series of life lessons about having love and respect for the animal world and myself.  Who would have thought that one bunny would lead to my rescuing over 100 others?

I went to see a psychic medium tonight, and I prayed that you would come through with a message that you're okay on the other side. The medium said that I don't need him to validate what I already know, and he was right. Even though I didn't connect directly with you, I know even in the past five months that we are living in separate worlds, we are still deeply connected by the heart we share. Love knows no boundaries — not even in death — and I know that you have not left my side. I felt you there tonight in that theatre sitting next to me just as I felt you with me at the John Tesh Show that you sent me to the day after you died.

The medium also said that an animal will leave us when they have finished teaching us the lessons we are to learn, but you continued to teach me even after your passing. Your earliest lessons were about earning trust and respect. Through patience and persistence, I was able to bond with you even though you had been horribly mistreated by the pet store. From there, you taught me to help others, even when I thought I had nothing to give. You taught me to sing even though I can't hold a note (you always tooth purred and hunkered down when I sang your songs to you). You taught me to cuddle with those I love even when I think I have too much to do. You taught me to laugh and be silly - bunny 500s and binkies are fun for humans, too. But your last lesson was the hardest for me. It was never to close my home or my heart to an animal in need. Never allow sadness to stay for too long, because in time, even broken hearts will heal.

My Chauncy, of all the blessings that have been bestowed upon me, you will always remain the greatest. You have helped to make me the woman I am, and I'm proud to know I was your mommy. I miss you so much, my baby girl. I look forward to the day we are reunited at Rainbow Bridge. Wait for me...




Shortly after coming into our care, this sweet, beautiful bunny was diagnosed with cancer. He returned whatever attention and love we gave him tenfold, and we felt lucky to be able to give him the comfort, medical care, love and attention that seemed to elude him in the past. He was a bunny who never gave up, and never doubted that his purpose was to love others and be loved.

We've set up a fund in his honor to help provide rescued bunnies medical care so they can have a second chance at life; or a chance for a dignified, pain-free and comfortable life until it's their time to pass over the Bridge. See more about Alexander's Fund.


CARLA (Fall 2011)

My Sweet Carla...Rescued in May from a park in Carle Place by a couple who saw her and knew she didn't belong outside. She belonged safe, inside, in a loving home. Carla allowed this couple to just walk over and pick her up. The couple brought her to the Long Island Rabbit Rescue Group where they took her into safety.

Just a few days later, I showed up at the Rescue to clean cages. As soon as I saw Carla, I was drawn to her. "Who is this beautiful bunny?" I asked. I couldn't stay away from her. I kept going back to her cage, petting and kissing her. The next week I went back and still couldn't stay away from her. The volunteers all noticed Carla was very shy, quiet, not very active. Carla would pick at her salad and pellets and not move out of her hay box too much. When Carla did get play time, she took full advantage though, binking and running and investigating.

In early June, Carla was brought to the vet to be spayed along with another rescued female. When I called the vet that afternoon to find out how the girls did during surgery, I was told "the one that has cancer needs to stay longer because she isn't eating on her own yet". My heart sunk to my stomach. When I asked which one had cancer, the girl didn't know. I knew in my gut it was Carla. I was later told for sure, it was Carla. After learning her diagnosis and knowing she needed special care after her surgery, I took Carla into my home "just for a few days" in order to give her pain medication. My sweet girl was brought to my home and that is where she stayed...

When Carla first got here, she was shy, scared, very unsure of her surroundings and of me. Carla didn't really want to be handled, didn't come near me and DID NOT want to be picked up. I gave her a few days to adjust and gave her a quiet, comfortable place to recover from her surgery. Night after night I would just sit with Carla and allow her to get used to me, my voice, my scent, my touch. Carla started coming out of her shell and week after week she became more and more trusting and adventurous and affectionate...yes, week after week, which meant I was no longer keeping Carla for "a few days". I just couldn't give her up. The thought of her spending the rest of her days in a lonely cage in a room with many other rabbits, getting an occasional pat each day, was incomprehensible to me. This sweet girl was thrown out like she was garbage. Obviously not loved and not taken care of. I was determined to let Carla know what it was like to be in a safe home with a family that loved her. She wasn't garbage.

Carla began to run to the cage door when I entered the room. Her ears would perk up when her name was called and she would come running to me. She was so excited! It was like she was saying, "Me, Me? Are you calling me"? I swore if Carla had a tail that wagged, hers would be wagging! She would stick her nose between the bars as soon as I closed up her pen for "night-night time" and looked so sad because she wanted to keep playing! Carla would run and bink and sprint and loved to investigate new territories.
I can't forget to tell everyone about how much she loved her apple. Right before we went to sleep at night, Carla would get apple, her favorite treat. As soon as I entered the room with her little pink dessert dish, Carla knew what was coming. She ran in circles (like a dog chasing it's tail) and would climb all the way up the walls of her pen with her little twitching nose right over the top and actually hop in standing!! When I put the bowl down, Carla would take her time with each little piece, savoring every bite. She was so neat, never liked to mess up her pen, so Carla would eat right over the bowl. Once she was done she would lick up all the juice! Carla wasn't going to miss out any of it!

Carla had a very strong personality. I believe that's what got her as far as she did. Carla didn't just let me know when she was unhappy about something. Carla would have to "make a point". Like the time I gave her pellet mix with dried cranberries in it. I came home to find all the cranberries on the floor around her bowl! She ate the pellets but removed the cranberries. She didn't just eat around them. She wanted to let me know "I don't like these. Don't give them to me again". As Carla's cancer progressed, she began to lose more of her appetite. I tried so many different combinations of food and types of food to entice her. I tried oats once. Well, the first time I put the bowl in her cage she turned her nose away and didn't want any part of it. I figured I would put the bowl down in her pen and when she was ready she would try some. Well, once again, Carla needed to get her point across loud and clear. Carla pushed the bowl away a couple of times with her nose. Then continued to push it clear across her pen to the complete opposite corner, then walked back to the other side and laid down and looked at me as if to say "I told you, I don't want it." God I miss her feistiness.

By the end of the summer, Carla was coming up to me for pets and kisses and laying down and falling asleep next to me. One sweet morning, I got my first "Carla Kiss" on my chin. I will never forget the love I felt from her that morning. Then every day after that, I got more and more kisses. Carla had a thing for noses. She loved to be kissed on her nose and she loved to give kisses on my nose! Then one day, I picked Carla up and she just laid in my arms and allowed me to kiss and hug her. I couldn't believe this was the same bunny that would nip me and run from me if I even attempted to pet or pick her up a few months prior. Carla trusted and loved me and she made sure I knew it. It was like no other feeling in the world.
As strong as she was and as much as a fighter my Sweet Carla was, she couldn't fight Cancer anymore. Carla had a mass on her lungs and the cancer was traveling through her body. It got harder and harder for my sweet girl to breath. All her playfulness was gone because she didn't have any more energy and everything she did made her short of breath. The night I saw my sweet girl start breathing from her mouth, I made the hardest decision I ever made. I called my vet and made the decision that it was time for Carla's suffering to end.

The next morning, my sweet girl comforted me. When she came out of her carrier onto the table at the vet's office, she walked over to me, placing her two paws on my arm and laid her head down as if to say "its ok. I know its time" . My sweet girl just fell asleep in my arms getting kisses. I wanted her to know love in this world. She did. Carla also made sure I knew what it was like to feel love, unconditional love, that only a bunny can give. There is no love like the love of a bunny. It was something very special to have worked for her love and even more special when I finally won it.

Thank you Carla for that and for all of the smiles, laughs, kisses and warm cuddles you gave me. I even thank you for your 2:30 a.m. wake up calls because you couldn't sleep and wanted to play. I will never know what it was about 2:30 a.m. but there are still times I wake up in the middle of the night and wait to hear you digging and playing and pulling on your bars to come out to play.

I want every one to know who you were Carla. You were a beautiful, sweet, smart, funny, feisty little girl with white mitten hands and long black eye lashes. A little Dutch Mix that loved getting and giving kisses on the nose and slept with your arms stretched out in front of you and your butt in the air! You would drop onto your side and roll over almost completely onto your back in front of me and close your eyes while I pet your belly and kissed you. I miss so much. I will always miss you Carla. Thank you for coming into my life and showing me your true personality and making me feel loved. In the short 6 months that you were with me Carla, you filled my heart with an eternity of love. Until we meet again sweet girl....xoxoxoxo. I love you so much My Sweet Carla. —Gina



If you would like a memorial to your beloved bunny
posted on our Website for free, e-mail for more info.

If you would like a personalized printable 8.5 x 11" pdf file
memorial to your rabbit like the one shown to the left
(which includes your rabbit's photo, dates and the poem at the
top of this page) email us the information and make
a tax-deductible donation of any size.

If you would like to make a donation to Long Island Rabbit Rescue,
please click here.

For information about PET LOSS SUPPORT,
visit www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/loss.html